Photo Academy at Pumba
Set against the backdrop of the Malaria-free Eastern Cape’s diverse landscape, Pumba Private Game Reserve is home to Africa’s magnificent Big Five including a pride of rare, free-roaming, white lion, 60 different species of mammal and over 300 bird species.
Pumba is the perfect location to begin the adventure of discovering Wildlife Photography. You will have an amazing opportunity to get up close to iconic South African Wildlife including Cheetah, Hippo and Hyena, to mention a few. The abundance of Wildlife allows for a multitude of photographic opportunities in order to understand the basics of a DSLR camera.
Rate From: R9,500pps
Duration: 4 Days
Group size: Max 12 people
Dates: 18 – 21 March 2017, 14 – 17 April 2017, 15 – 18 June 2017, 9 – 12 August 2017, 22 – 25 September 2017, 19 – 22 October 2017
- This course takes place once or twice a month normally from a Thusday to a Sunday.
- Duration is 3 nights and 4 days.
- Aimed at clients who have a desire to learn the basics of a DSLR (Digital Single-Lens Reflex) camera and aiming to get off of Auto Mode.
- You will go on six game drives during which you will be taught (and practice) various photographic skills and techniques aimed at “Getting you off Auto” and into the various semi-manual modes such as Aperture and Shutter Priority.
- Each photo safari lasts around 3 hours.
- Post production techiniques will be taught during the day or in the evenings (Adobe Lightroom is suggested and can be downloaded as a free 30 day trial before arrival at Pumba). You will need to bring your own laptop.
- As a full service tour operator we will also book your flights to Port Elizabeth and also organise your transfer to the Academy.
Courses will be limited to 12 participants, with each photographic vehicle having its own photo guide and a maximum of 6 people, keeping the nature of the teaching personal and interactive, focussed at progressing all participants at a consistent pace. Meals, lectures and activities will all be group orientated to foster a shared learning experience and to encourage a safe and open platform to discover the amazing world of Wildlife Photography.
Modules that will be taught in the course include:
- Introduction to Basic Photography; Getting comfortable with your camera and its functions.
- Composition rules and guidelines.
- Shooting Modes; Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority; The relationship between Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO
- Light: making the most of what’s available.
- Processing your images: Basic processing and workflow management.
- Additional creative skills may well be discussed and taught if certain situations arise during the 6 scheduled safaris.
We can teach you to use our own camera and we are very knowledgable about the products of the major brands but should you not have a camera we can lend you a Canon 7Dmk2 and 100-400mm telephoto lens for the duration of the course included in the price.
- Full Pangolin Photo Academy Introduction to Wildlife Photography Course.
- Three nights’ accommodation at Pumba Private Game Reserve at the Pangolin Photo Academy*, including meals, soft drinks and minerals.
- Six photographic game drives.
- Photography at night workshop
- Free 8gb SD card
- Free use of a Canon 7D Mark II and a 100-400mm telephoto lens for the duration of the 6 photographic game activities should it be required. (Limited numbers available)
- Refreshments for the duration of the 6 photographic game activities.
- Refreshments other than mentioned above.
- Items of a personal nature
- Getting to and from the Pangolin Photo Academy.
* Please note that The Pangolin Photo Academy is a stand alone establishment and not to be confused with Water Lodge or Bush lodge which are 5 star establishments also on the reserve.